Friday, April 28, 2006

Blogging for Breakfast












Unusually alert at this time. Somehow have found more inspiration to blog.
For my friends, I thought I had to share this story.
You know that MTV show Super Sweet 16? Its gotten a huge TV following, I among them, but now I feel more relieved that I'm not the only nonteeneager who's watching this show. According to Neilson ratings, even 30somethingyearolds+ watch this show!
Anyway, so these kids have become semi-celebrities, hated or worshipped for their exposure. I do admit, I do have a love/hate relationship w/ this show.
The over-the-top fabulousness of the parties, the selfcenteredness, the catfights w/ parents...drama people! drama!

The New York Times reports on the phenonmenon of the show and the attention the teens have gotten since they've appeared plus more on others who will appear on the show.
MTV's 'Super Sweet 16' Gives a Sour Pleasure : Here's a funny exerpt I've included:

Dr. Srinivasa Rao Kothapalli, a prominent cardiologist in Beaumont, Tex., is more than willing to relinquish his checkbook. His daughter Priya turned 16 earlier this month, and she is in the throes of planning a joint birthday-graduation party with her elder sister, Divya, 18. "If you can afford to have a grand celebration, then why not," said Dr.Kothapalli, who immigrated to the United States from India in the mid-1980's. "It's the American way. You work hard and you play hard."

Born with silver ladles in their mouths, his daughters have certainly mastered the latter. Their Bollywood-themed party for 500 guests will be held in the family's backyard — all 4½ acres, behind the 10,000-square-foot house. The Format, their favorite band, will perform. And they will make their grand entrance on litters, during an elaborate procession led by elephants.
...Priya, who received a Mercedes convertible and an assortment of diamond jewelry for her birthday...Her sister's graduation gift package included a Bentley, diamonds and two homes in India. "I was really surprised," Divya said, "because I was only expecting a Bentley and one house."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For once, I would like to see spoiled rich kids survive without money.